Pets are important members of a family. In fact, for many pet owners their animals are treated as well as many children. If these same pet owners get devastating news like the diagnosis of cancer in animals that they love, difficult choices need to be made. From making a financial commitment for cancer treatments for pets to making the painful decision to put a pet to sleep, the diagnosis of cancer in animals is never good news.
Veterinary surgical procedures have made a lot of progress in the last few decades, but the medical progress does not always help with the emotional implications.
At the very least, owners can feel like they have done everything possible if they have followed the best recommendations for veterinary services and appointments:
- Latest statistics indicate that 46 million households own dogs and nearly 39 households own cats.
- In an animal hospital or animal medical center veterinarians provide the latest and best care for for cats, dogs, and many other family pets. In addition to treating serious conditions, these locations also provide vaccines and other necessary pet care options.
- Kids can become especially attached to their pets. It is important that children know that their family has done what they can for the yearly health care of pets that feel like real members of the family.
- Estimates indicate that 80% of dogs and 70% cats show signs of dental disease by the age of three. These signs often lead to abscesses, loose teeth, and chronic pain.
- Forbes Magazine reports that 92% of pet owners spent the same amount of money, or even more, on their pets during the most recent recession period.
- A kitten or a puppy kitten or puppy should go in for vaccines every three to four weeks until the pet reaches the age of 16 weeks old.
- Many vets suggest twice-yearly checkups for older pets.
- If fleas are a problem for you pet, you likely know that the female flea can lay as many as 2,000 eggs in her lifetime.
- Life stages of the flea include: egg, larva, pupa, biting adult.
- Your decision to bring a pet into your home is a decision to make sure that you are careful to follow the recommendations for healthy pet care as recommended by veterinarians.